Is couponing worth it?

23 July 2011

I'll let you be the judge!


First - the mail. I received my first rebate check! I know - you're probably thinking, "But Sophia Saver! You're addicted to coupons! Surely you've been doing rebates all along?!?" The answer, sadly, is no. I've always had a strong voice in my head telling me they weren't worth it. You know the standard reasons - they take too much effort or time, they never come, they aren't worth enough, etc. But let's consider how much work I performed to get this rebate. I wrote down my info on the form, stuck both it and my receipt in an envelope, then mailed the envelope. Didn't even break a sweat. And although $3.50 doesn't sound like a lot - these things add up. I've decided to save up for something fun, either a new tattoo or perhaps a hiking backpack. (Yes, I have one tattoo - it's of knitting needles, if you must know. I'm hardcore!)


Second - my shopping trip. First I went to Staples to take advantage of the toilet paper deal I posted about here (it ends today!). I bought a 16 pack of Charmin and a pencil sharpener for a total OOP of $4.67. I saved $7.25. (P.S. - you can use the manufacturer coupon and the Staples coupon on the toilet paper.) Next I went to CVS. I had heard that they might get some more of the Gillette Fusion shaving gel in stock, which I was so happy to see that they did! (Note: you can still take advantage of this TODAY ONLY. Buy a 2.5oz can of Gillette Fusion hydra shave gel. It'll be around $2.19-$2.27. Use a $1/1 coupon from the 6.5.11 P&G insert, which will make your cost $1.19-$1.27. You'll receive a $2 ECB, though - so it's a money maker!) I bought the shaving gel and a pack of Reese's Pieces (I had a craving, okay?) that were on sale for a dollar. I used the $1 off coupons and a $1 ECB. I paid $1.49 total and I got back a $2 ECB! Woot!

Then, I went to Office Max. This was the best deal of all (and you can still take advantage of it through today only!). They had a tearpad of coupons in the aisle for $5 off when you purchase 3 Expo or Sharpie products (excludes Sharpie singles). The Expo 4-counts are on sale, 2 for $5. The Sharpie highlighter 4-counts are on sale for $1. I purchased 2 packages of the Expo markers and one package of the Sharpies for $6, minus the $5 coupon - total cost $1.09!!!! The cashier was amazed. I'm so excited because I've been taking all of the school supplies I've gotten for free and saving them for donation!


After all of the couponing, I was thirsty. I went to Sonic to redeem my birthday coupon good for a FREE medium drink. (Want birthday freebies? View my list of goodies here.) Feeling refreshed, I came home to tally up my savings. Overall, I paid $7.25 out of pocket and saved $14.92 (not including the drink!), plus I received $3.50 in the mail and $2 in ECBs. So, you tell me - is couponing worth it??

0 comments: