*A quick break from couponing*

28 July 2011

Okay, well, it'll be about couponing a little bit. You see, I'm a shy person. As in, painfully shy. I always have been. But it's weird - couponing has given me more confidence. For one, I always attract attention in stores. Cashiers can't resist saying something to me - positive or negative. I've had to learn how to handle that. I've also had to learn how to ask for things. I used to start physically shaking if I had to go and ask people for ANYTHING, even if I wanted something and was entitled. I hated store freebies. They seemed so alluring, but I could never bring myself to go and get them. "What if they laugh at me?" I would think.

Slowly, but surely, I've gotten over it. It started with the Origins freebie a while back. I adore Origins, and I couldn't resist a free full size cleanser. And you know what? It wasn't embarrassing at all. I had to wait in a long line! I love to go get freebies now. Why am I telling you all of this? Because I have recently been to WAR.

With whom? My apartment managers. I had mice. MICE. I am clean person, there's no reason I should have rodents. (I also have cats, just apparently not mousers.) They put me off for a month. They ignored me. They put a couple of traps out, but didn't seal up the holes where they were coming in. They sent a maintenance man in to clean up the carcasses, and he didn't wear gloves. He also touched everything in my kitchen. Can you even imagine? I'm a germophobe; I've hardly been able to sleep this whole time.

Finally, I'd had enough. I marched my newly found confidence down to the leasing office, and I commenced to attack. I was there ALL THE TIME. If they had someone filling out a 'welcome' card, I would gleefully yell about my rodent problem. I called, too. I also called their corporate headquarters. I also got a copy of my lease to take to a lawyer.

You know what? They finally got the message. Sometimes, it really is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. This squeaky wheel finally got pest control. Not just for myself, either, but also for the other members of this building. So, I know you weren't reading this looking for a moral, but there is one. If something belongs to you or if you want something, ask for it. And if it is something you need, such as a pest-free apartment or a respectful spouse, don't give up until you get it. You deserve it.

0 comments: